Wednesday, March 19, 2008

kidz on the streetz

I was chaperoning about 25 teens on a school bus yesterday coming back from a vocal clinic. The choir director asked the driver to stop at a strip mall so the kids could buy lunch after their long morning. As they filed off the bus, I slipped some money to Larkin, to which she enthusiastically responded, "Beastly!" and continued off the bus. Whatever that means, I'm pretty sure it's not "thank you." But it was definitely positive, and I got to learn a new word that the kidz are saying. You know, the kidz on the streetz. Keeps me young.

A few days ago, Rowan was following an adult conversation that turned toward the undervaluing of nurses in our country. Remembering when he broke his collarbone on the playground in kindergarten, Rowan reminisced about having to visit the school nurse every day to have his shoulder iced. Luckily, I had paper & pen in front of me and was able to catch it verbatim. "Yes! For instance, I am exceedingly grateful to Nurse Alice. Though she put me in considerable misery, it was oddly satisfying."

I don't think that's what the kidz are saying. -k8-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow! he is really something. I wonder how adeline will speak, will she be wordy, hip, flip, all of the above?

tam