Wednesday, February 27, 2008

no garfield is good garfield

I detest Garfield. I mean the comic strip cat, not the musically precocious Seattle high school. Why? Is it the perpetual mean-spirited humor? Is it the way he regularly abuses the dog character, who's portrayed as a drooling idiot? Is it the pathetically cat-strated Jon, Garfield's master, who makes me want to burn those books? Yes, it's all of that. But it's more.

Rowan loves Garfield. No, he doesn't just love Garfield...borrowing from Woody Allen, he lurves, loaves, absolutely luufs Garfield! And we have a house rule: if he'll read it, it will come. So the house is full of Garfield books. Which I could handle. Y'know, avert my eyes & such. Except that Rowan likes to read the "funny ones" out loud for others to "enjoy."

Hey, parenthood don't come for free; I know this. But I ask you, a combined total of over 50 hours in labor, all those diapers, the sleepless nights, the hospital trips, My God--the PTA MEETINGS... haven't I suffered enough?!

Apparently so. Because some internet angel saw fit to create, just for me & my kind, this New & Improved Garfield comic strip. If you are anything like me, you won't be disappointed. -k8-

2 comments:

Librarian Man said...

The reference desk is not the place to be looking at this. Tears of mirth were streaming down my face and a library patron with a reference question was concerned that I had somehow managed to pour the contents of my nearby water bottle into my eyes.

As it turns out, I love Jon. He is everything I want to be, now that he got rid of his damn cat.

Anonymous said...

ha ha...I guess I never figured out that I hated Garfield until I saw someone else putting a voice to some deeper, repressed feelings inside.

hope you are well!
Tam